Placing a bid on an item you are interested in couldn’t be easier, when viewing the item details page you will have two areas from where you can place your bid, one next to the item details and a second at the bottom of the page.
To place your bid simply enter the amount you wish to bid e.g. 50.00. Please note no currency symbols are required. The bid will be placed in the auction currency.
Once done you will be asked to review your bid and you will also be able to view vital item details such as the shipping conditions before confirming your bid. To submit your bid simply press the “Place Bid” button.
If your bid is high enough to take the lead in the auction a confirmation message will be displayed to you, however if your bid has not taken the lead be it due to a higher proxy bid or not meeting the reserve price you will be invited to make a further bid.
Should you decide to retract your bid this can be done via the “Current Bids” section of the member’s area.
You can also place a proxy bid, proxy bidding allows you to place your “High Bid”. At all times you will only pay the lowest required bid should you win the auction. For example, if the current bid on an auction is 500.00 you can place a proxy bid of 2,000. Should you remain the only bidder you will only pay 500.00. However should the item receive other bids the site will automatically re-bid for you (upto 2,000 in this scenario) to ensure you remain in the lead.
The Bidding section provides you with an overview of all the items you have bid on lists items you have won, outstanding invoices and items you are watching.
The Bidding section also provides access to your Favorite Stores list.
Managing & Placing Bids
At the heart of your auction experience is bidding on items you'd like to buy. PHP Pro Bid allows you to purchase items in several ways:
- Make an Offer
- Buy Out
You can see detailed examples for each type of bidding option below.You can see detailed examples for each type of bidding option below.
Standard & Proxy Bidding
Standard Bidding is the most common way to bid on an item, and is exactly the same as the process used in real-world auction rooms. You bid the minimum amount needed to outbid the current high bidder.
A Proxy Bid means that you bid an amount that is higher than necessary. The auction software will raise your actual bid to the minimum necessary, but will remember your maximum. If someone else comes along and tries to outbid you, the auction software will automatically place additional bids on your behalf up to the value of your proxy bid. This means you can stay on top of the bidding without having to be near a computer.
Here's how you do it:
1. Find the item you'd like to bid on - either by browsing the categories down the left of your screen, or by using the search box just below the navigation bar:
2. To place a bid, enter your chosen amount into the "Place Bid" field in the item listing:
Click the Place Bid button to continue.
3. The bid confirmation screen will display the minimum bid needed (standard bid) and will allow you to adjust your bid accordingly:
A. If you wish to place a standard bid, adjust your bid to match the Minimum Bid value shown
B. If you wish to place a proxy bid, enter your maximum bid into the Your Bid field
4. You will now see confirmation that you are the high bidder or a message telling you that you have been outbid, or that you bid is below the reserve price.
You can place as many bids as you want on an item.
Making An Offer
Some sellers allow potential buyers to make an offer to buy their items, to avoid having to wait for the auction to finish.
If a seller is open to offers, you will see a logo like this in the item listing:
The Make Offer section of the listing also contains information about the price range in which offers can be made.
1. If you would like to make an offer, click on the icon.
2. On the Make Offer page, enter the amount you would like to offer (Remember - your offer must be in the price range specified):
3. Click Proceed to continue and your offer will be confirmed and submitted to the seller.
Instead of monetary offers, some sellers will accept Swap Offers - offers of an item of appropriate value in exchange for the item being sold. The swap offer process works in a very similar way to the standard Make Offer process.
1. If the seller of the item you are interested in accepts Swap Offers, you will see an entry like this in the item listing:
2. Click on the Make An Offer link and enter a description of the swap you are proposing:
3. Click Proceed and you will see a confirmation message confirming that your swap offer has been passed to the seller.
Buy Out (Buy Now)
If the option is available you can use “Buy Out” to purchase the item immediately without having to place a bid. Some sellers offer such an option which can be used at any time until a bid has been placed over any applicable reserve price.
The “Buy Out” option will appear on the item details page, you will be asked to confirm your intention to buy out the item before the sale is concluded. Buy out’s cannot be retracted.
Some sellers allow items to be purchased instantly at a fixed price, regardless of any auction bidding that has taken place. This feature is called Buy Out.
You will see this logo in item listings offering the Buy Out facility.
The Buy Out price will be stated directly below the Buy Out logo.
1. To purchase an item with Buy Out, click on the Buy Out logo:
2. You will be taken to a confirmation page showing the Buy Out price, postage costs and payment methods for the item:
Click Proceed if you are happy to continue.
3. Your purchase will now be confirmed and you will be able to pay the seller's invoice:
The Won Items section allows you to see all of your recent purchases and bids at a glance:
Recently-purchased items are then individually listed with their payment status:
When you are ready to pay for the item, simply click on Pay With Direct Payment:
This will take you to a payment screen enabling you to choose you preferred payment method and make an instant payment for your item:
Once you have completed the payment, the payment status for the item will be updated in the Won Items table - for example:
The Bidding section of the Members' Area also allows buyers to see all of their current invoices:
The auction watch features notifies you of newly listed auctions which contain keywords you have chosen. For example if you are looking for a new Digital Camera you could enter in those keywords from within your members area area. Each time a new auction is listed containing those keywords you will be notified via email.
The item watch features lets you keep a close eye on any auction without having to place a bid on it. This feature means you can be kept up to date on how an auction is doing and prepares you to place a winning last minute bid. You can watch any auction by clicking on the “Watch this item” link on any auction page.
If you would like to track the progress of an auction without bidding on it, you can choose to watch the item.
1. In every item listing, you will see a Watch This Item link - like this:
To add an item to your Watched Items list, simply click on this link:
2. To view your Watched Items list, go to the Watched Items section of the Members' Area:
PHP Pro Bid allows users to operate their own stores within the auction site. Selecting a store as a favorite allows you quick and easy access to it directly from your Members' Area, without having to search for it.
1. To access a complete list of stores or to search the store directory, click on the stores link in the navigation bar:
2. At the top of each store's home page, there is an Add To Favorites link. Click this to add this store to your Favorite Stores:
To see a list of all of your favorite stores, go to Members' Area / Bidding / Favorite Stores: